This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas on living a healthy lifestyle. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is multi-faceted, and should include physical, mental and spiritual health. Although this blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, hopefully it will be of benefit to someone else.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What is Clean Eating?

Clean eating means different things to different people. I like to define it as eating food as close to their natural state as possible. I used to teach a 6th grade nutrition class, and I had a student once tell me that her mom says "Eat what God gave us, how he gave it to us. Food straight from the dirt is best". I giggled because that pretty much sums it up. I believe we were given this earth to provide for our necessities, and that we were given every food source we need to survive and be healthy. Does that mean that I don't like an order of nice, hot fries to dip in my frosty every once in a while? Of course I do. The trick is to not base your diet on processed foods and foods that are so far from their natural state that the ingredients are unrecognizable.


Clean eating is a "new" fad that has been around for ages. It is easy to wrap your mind around it if you think of how your great, great, great grandparents used to eat. There were no McDonald's and frozen pizzas. There were no "artificial" sweeteners and chemical additives. They grew and raised most of their food. I know that living as your ancestors did is a bit unrealistic, but there are ways that you can get back to the basics with your food. I will share some ideas in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment