This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas on living a healthy lifestyle. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is multi-faceted, and should include physical, mental and spiritual health. Although this blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, hopefully it will be of benefit to someone else.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tips for Eating Clean

Disclaimer: I am not a 100% clean eater. It is a family goal to get to that point, but it is a process.

1. Don't be overwhelmed. Like I said in a previous post, clean eating means different things to different people. I have friends who choose to take the vegan approach, some take the vegetarian approach, and some take my approach of just eating things as close to their natural state as possible. As with any major lifestyle change, changing your diet to a clean one is a process. Before you purge your cupboards and freezer and buy up the produce section at the grocery store, sit down with your family and make a plan.

2. If you are not already, make yourself familiar with the Food Guide Pyramid and USDA suggestions. There has been a lot of research on what should constitute a healthy diet. Again, there are different needs for different people based on medical issues and personal beliefs, so use it as a guide. I love the new food guide pyramid, because it incorporates physical activity.

3. I have a good friend who has changed her diet to a hybrid of vegan and vegetarian. When I was talking to her about it, she said that she is approaching the change with the mantra "flexible, not fanatical". She and her husband allow themselves one day a week to eat what they want. The other day, she had Chik-Fil-A. I love her saying, because the second we become fanatical about any task, it suddenly becomes overwhelming and we are faced with a pressure to succeed. Many people buckle under that pressure, or become aggressive with their views.

4. You don't need to break the bank. Some choose to eat organic as well, but we just can't swing that in our budget. Buy produce that is in season, and it will be cheaper. Better yet, plant a garden. My brother and sister in law have the best garden, and are able to eat fresh produce all summer long for a fraction of the cost.


5. Let's face it, packaged food items are a convenience. There is no way I am making my own pasta, or baking my own goldfish crackers (although my sister does). The trick is to look at the ingredient list. Try to buy items with 5 ingredients or less, and make sure that you at least recognize the ingredients. Another trick - make sure that the item is made out of good stuff like whole wheat flour instead of regular, cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, etc.

6. Put a plate of fresh cut fruit and veggies on the table at each meal, or at least at dinner. Fresh produce is easier and healthier than their frozen and canned counterparts. If fresh isn't available, frozen is always better than canned, and canned is always better than nothing at all :)

7. As soon as you get home from the grocery store, clean and cut all veggies(including lettuce for salad). Place in individual Ziploc bags or containers, and place them somewhere you will see them. Keep fruits with fruits and veggies with veggies.





No comments:

Post a Comment