This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas on living a healthy lifestyle. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is multi-faceted, and should include physical, mental and spiritual health. Although this blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, hopefully it will be of benefit to someone else.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Equipment Needed for a Home Exercise Program

Although a gym membership is nice, many people don't have the time or money to make it to a gym. I have been able to adapt a large portion of my workouts to a home routine, that way the people I am working with have the option of staying at home and getting a good workout.

There are three basic pieces of equipment you need for a home work out.

An exercise ball - Get the size proportional to your size. Most of the ones sold in stores like Target and Walmart are average size and work for most people. If you are a little taller, you may need a bigger one.

A medicine ball - Get the 10 lb ball. It may be hard at first, but you will get used to it. In the gym, I start with an 8 lb ball and work up to a 10lb ball, but they are a little pricey so no need to buy two.


Dumbbells - You will need both 8lb and 10lb weights. If you can only buy one set, go with the 8lb weights. You can purchase the 10lb weights when you get a little stronger.

There are several other options for home workout equipment, but you can get a pretty good workout with just using these three things.

You will also need a water bottle and a really good pair of athletic shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment