This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas on living a healthy lifestyle. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is multi-faceted, and should include physical, mental and spiritual health. Although this blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, hopefully it will be of benefit to someone else.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Packing in the Veggies

Sometimes it is hard for me to get my veggies in throughout the day. With four very active little kids, I am constantly on the move and don't pay much attention to my veggie count. Fruits are easy, because I will grab an apple, banana or orange as I am running out the door. Here are 5 meals that are in our regular rotation, that allow us to pack in the veggies.

1. Omelettes
Most of my kids like scrambled eggs, so this is a great meal for us. Jonathan and I just pile on the veggies.

2. Salad Bar
I have mentioned this before, but this is one of our kids' favorite meals. They love choosing what they want to eat and dishing it out.


3. Pizza
This flat bread pizza recipe is super easy, but any pizza recipe will do. Jonathan and I prefer our pizza packed with as many veggies as we can get a hold of. We rarely put any meat on ours. The kids, on the other hand, love the pepperoni so we have to put their veggies on the side.

4. Veggie Sandwich
This is super simple and super delicious. Today, I had cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and avocado. I like a slice of cheese (the real stuff) to add a little flavor. I also skip the mustard and mayo, and drizzle on whatever light vinaigrette I have in my fridge.

5. Black Bean or Chicken Burritos
Rather than packing your burrito with a bunch of rice, try shredded romaine, tomatoes, corn, onions, bell peppers, avocado, etc.

Each Saturday I buy:
cherry tomatoes
mushrooms
carrots
romaine
fresh spinach
cucumbers
bell peppers

I also buy random veggies a few times a month, like avocados, celery, broccoli (we use mainly frozen, because little man G doesn't do to well when I eat fresh), zucchini, etc.

Because I already have all those veggies in my fridge, it is easy to add them to our dinners. On nights that the veggies aren't the main attraction, I cut a bunch of them up and put them on a plate in the middle of the table. We just snack on them with our main course.

No comments:

Post a Comment