This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas on living a healthy lifestyle. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is multi-faceted, and should include physical, mental and spiritual health. Although this blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, hopefully it will be of benefit to someone else.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Fresh Beet Salad

My sister in law makes a variation of this every time they come to the states to visit. I always assumed I didn't like beets, because who likes beets? This is so good and so good for you. I have only ever used the fresh beets. Some say you can use canned, but it will change the taste. Fresh beets are better for you anyway. Just a little warning, beet juice stains. Be careful when you are handling them, especially when they are cooked.

Fresh Beet Salad
3 fresh beets
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Cut off stalk of beets, but don't cut off root. Keep skins on. Boil in a covered pot for 45 minutes. Remove beets from pot and place in a strainer. Run under cold water. Remove the skins (they should slide right off). Cut off root. Cut the beets. I prefer to dice them, but you can also slice them. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and chill for 2 hours. It is important to cover the salad unless you want your entire fridge to smell like garlic.

Beets are full of nutrients. They are an especially good source of folate and fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment